As we’re rapidly approaching Valentine’s Day, thought that for this month’s Ten Things we should have something slightly different …
Ten Quotes about Prostitution
- The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.
[Brendan Behan (1923-1964)]
- You can make prostitution illegal, but you can’t make it unpopular.
[Martin Behrman (1864-1926)]
- I don’t understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal. Fucking is legal. Why isn’t selling fucking legal? You know, why should it be illegal to sell something that’s perfectly legal to give away?
[George Carlin (1937-2008)]
- Blessed be they as virtuous, who when they feel their virile members swollen with lust, visit a brothel rather than grind at some husband’s private mill.
[Cato the Younger (95-46 BC)]
- Why waste your life working for a few shillings a week in a scullery, eighteen hours a day, when a woman could earn a decent wage by selling her body instead?
[Emma Goldman (1869-1940)]
- The issue is privacy. Why is the decision by a woman to sleep with a man she has just met in a bar a private one, and the decision to sleep with the same man for $100 subject to criminal penalties?
[Anna Quindlen (1952-)]
- [Prostitution] isn’t inherently immoral, any more than running a company like Enron is inherently immoral. It’s how you do it that counts. And the reality is that it’s going to happen anyway. It’s not called the world’s oldest profession for nothing. Why not make it, at the very least, safe and productive?
[Jeannette Angell, “A Wellness Perspective on Prostitution, Freedom, Religion, and More”, Seek Wellness, 30 April 2005]
- Every hooker I ever speak to tells me that it beats the hell out of waitressing.
[Woody Allen, Deconstructing Harry]
- Prostitution is criminal, and bad things happen because it’s run illegally by dirt-bags who are criminals. If it’s legal, then the girls could have health checks, unions, benefits, anything any other worker gets, and it would be far better.
[Jesse Ventura, Playboy, November 1999]
- All civilized wo/men are prostitutes: Some sell what’s between their legs; the rest sell what’s between their ears.